Charlotte Airport Dedicated
The airport has its roots in Morris Field, which was constructed in 1936 with funds from the Works Progress Administration at the urging of local business leaders. With the U.S. entry into World War II in 1941, the Army Air Corps took control of the field and transformed it into an airbase to support several large military facilities in the Charlotte region.
In May 1946 the Air Corps vacated Morris Field. Charlotte officials then converted the base’s structures into apartment buildings to relieve the postwar housing shortage. The airport is named after Mayor Ben E. Douglas who was instrumental in the completion of the airport project.
Other related resources:
- Aviiation-related exhibits at the N.C. Transportation Museum in Spencer
- Aviation in North Carolina and otheraviation-related articles on NCpedia
- Centennial of Flight, a digital resource from the State Archives
- Turning Ideas Into Reality from the N.C. Museum of History / Tar Heel Junior Historian Association
For more about North Carolina’s history, arts and culture, visit Cultural Resources online. To receive these updates automatically each day, subscribe by email using the box on the right and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.