St. Augustine’s Henry B. Delany
On May 15, 1918, Henry Beard Delany became the first black Episcopal bishop in North Carolina and only the second in the United States. A native Georgian who grew up in Florida, Delany came to North Carolina in 1881 when he enrolled at St. Augustine’s Normal School (now St. Augustine’s College). He remained at the school teaching courses, overseeing facility construction, serving as vice principal and, after he was ordained an Episcopal priest, as the school chaplain.
Delany was elected bishop “in charge of Negro work” and served in that capacity broadly across North and South Carolina. His work is credited with the improvement of the quality of life among African Americans in the South. At his death, he was memorialized as having risen “to a position of eminence in which he had won not only the esteem of his white colleagues throughout the country but also their love.”
Two of Delany’s daughters became famous in the 1990s for their book Having Our Say: The Delany Sisters’ First 100 Years. The book was later adapted into a play and film.
Other related resources:
- Celebrate Black History! from the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources
- A History of African Americans in North Carolina from N.C. Historical Publications
- Resources related to black history from the State Library
For more about North Carolina’s history, arts and culture, visit Cultural Resources online. To receive these updates automatically each day, make sure you subscribe by email using the box on the right, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.